Go to page       >>  

UKSMG Summer 2011 Contest

Author Post

Trev, G3ZYY

Tue Feb 22 2011, 11:04AM
Hi All,
I just wanted to pen a few lines to explain the rationale behind the changes to the contest categories for this year’s Summer Es contest. We have taken into account the popularity (or otherwise) of some categories of entry and have come up with the following:

1. Single Operator (fixed permanent station address)
2. Single Operator (both portable and mobile)
3. Multi-operator (both fixed and portable)
4. A 6 hour fixed
5. A 6 hour portable
6. Qrp 5 watts max (both Phone and CW)
7. We welcome logs from short wave listeners who will be acknowledged

For most of you there will be no change from last year’s entry. There has been a change of name in that the previous ‘Open’ section is now re-named ‘Multi-operator’ which is more understandable to those whose first language is not English.
The CW only section has been discontinued due largely to lack of entries in this section. For similar reasons, the SWL section has been removed however, we will still be happy to accept logs from Short Wave Listeners which will be used as check-logs. All logs will be acknowledged.
We looked closely at providing an additional section for portable only entries however this was not considered necessary at this time. The current arrangement has been in place for at least the last 6 years and there has been little imperative to change it.
Last year had a 6 hour sprint section but operating times were constrained to a fixed 6 hour period. This year those rules have been relaxed and a further 6 hour sprint section added these cater for both fixed and portable stations. Multi Operators are allowed in both. Whichever 6 hour category is entered, the entry may be any straight 6 hours (eg from 1440 to 2040) or the 6 hour period may be split into two separate sections with a mandatory minimum 1 hour gap. In this case a station may decide to operate, for example, between 1500 and 1630 then from 0800 to 1230 the following day. If this option is exercised, then the 6 hour period can only be split into two full parts and there must be at least a 1 hour gap between them. Any station opting to enter the 6 hour sprint is allowed to operate outside their contest period(s) but may not make any contest exchanges during that time. This is to allow stations to work DX outside the contest when not operating in the 6 hour sprint. Stations entering the sprint and attempting to make contest exchanges outside the sprint period will be disqualified.
The methods of entry (types of log) have been tightened in order to speed up turn around time for the results. Paper logs are positively discouraged and will only be accepted by prior arrangement.
Scoring remains the same as last year so those using N1MMs contest logger will still be able to take advantage of the built in UKSMG contest scoring facilities.
Trev, G3ZYY
Tue Feb 22 2011, 09:07PM
Trev, G3ZYY

Registered Member #13

We did look at the option of introducing a portable only multi-op section but quite honestly apart from your (G5WQ) request we have had no demand for this. The contest has run without that as an individual section for several years (longer than I can remember) If you wish to lobby the contest manager in advance of next year's contest and muster additional support for your view we will look at it again. This year though will remain the same as it has for at least the past six years.

[ Edited Tue Feb 22 2011, 09:08PM ]
Ian, G7RIS
Sun Feb 27 2011, 09:45AM
Ian, G7RIS
Registered Member #149

Hi Trevor,
I for one would like to see a portable section in the contest, although we might have a better location when portable, I'm sure you can appreciate how much harder work it is than operating from a fixed station. I can't speak for the other guys that go portable but we as a team try and take another complete station with us for spares because if any equipment will fail it is sure to fail when you're miles from home!!!!!
Also I would love to see the squares, DXCC's and members worked information in the results tables this information is far better to me than just a final score.
In Ian's (G5WQ's) defense I have supported the idea of a portable section here in the forums before but I haven't formally put it to the contest manager.
Regards
Ian G7RIS
Trev, G3ZYY
Sun Feb 27 2011, 10:19AM
Trev, G3ZYY

Registered Member #13

Hi Ian and thanks for the reply. As I said to Ian, I'll certainly take a look at it (it seems I may be the contest manager for this years contest) but it won't make the cut this year; we have already changed the format at what I consider to be a late stage and I don't want to do it again for this contest at least. Like you and Ian, I also operate as a portable station (G0VSM) so I know 'where you are coming from'. The last time portable multi-op entries were segregated from the rest was back in the days of us having a separate category for UK Ops, with the rest of the world having to fit into a separate category; of course this always guaranteed a UK winner in each section and it was thought that, as most of our membership reside outside the UK, that needed to be addressed hence the changes. For what its worth, the single station whose entry was disallowed this year would have entered the same section as you and I and won it by a very large margin. Regretfully for him, the vagaries of an on-line translator meant the full details of his entry were not determined until far too late. Although I cannot be certain (partly because I don't hold the logs) The other two stations above you in the same category may also have been operating portable. One of the lines that the translator did manage was that the short form contest call-sign may be used in any part of the country. If that is indeed the case, the results would have been the same in any case. Having said all of that, I'll see if we can arrange something equitable for all concerned after this years event but well in advance of next year. Thanks, Trev
Ian, G7RIS
Mon Feb 28 2011, 01:59PM
Ian, G7RIS
Registered Member #149

Hi Trev,
Thanks for the info and congratulations to all the winners. Some of the scores that the winners got were fantastic. I don't think we'll ever manage to get such high scores. That is one reason why I have asked that the UKSMG publish the DXCC's, Squares and members work information (as they have done in previous years) so it is possible to understand how each entrant has done and compare similar stations results to my own.
Norman 5B4AIE did post on the forum a while ago about a place that could be rented in Cyprus for contesting. I'm thinking of trying it for next year's contest. I just haven't figured out how I can get the idea pass my XYL! Answers on a postcard.......
Regards
Ian
Trev, G3ZYY
Mon Feb 28 2011, 02:08PM
Trev, G3ZYY

Registered Member #13

Hi again Ian, yes there were some great scores. I agree with you that it would be useful to get the breakdown of how the scores were obtained so I will ensure that happens with this year's contest. Good luck and hopefully I'll work you in the summer. Thanks, Trev
Stewart, G0LGS
Sat Mar 05 2011, 10:46AM
Stewart, G0LGS
Registered Member #477

Trev, G3ZYY wrote ...

Stations entering the sprint and attempting to make contest exchanges outside the sprint period will be disqualified.

I feel this might need some or clarification or at least careful checking by the adjudicator.

If I was to operate in the Sprint section, but continue to work DX stations outside the sprint period I may be asked for a contest style report by any other station that is actually taking part in the contest - at first glance this would seem to preclude me from working that station or at the very least declining to give a contest exchange, which may mean they incorrectly but perhaps understandably enter '001' as my serial number (thus making it appear that I gave a contest exchange and that they got the serial number wrong).

In my case I would probably work stations using one of the local club calls (or my other call) outside of the sprint period and give contest exchange details anyway, but even this might be deemed to be contrary to the rules.

(I doubt I will be entering the sprint section, but that really has nothing to do with the point I am trying to make).

---
Stewart G0LGS

[ Edited Sat Mar 05 2011, 11:10AM ]
Trev, G3ZYY
Sun Mar 06 2011, 06:10PM
Trev, G3ZYY

Registered Member #13

Hi Stewart, you make a very valid point and you are correct that I perhaps didn't make this very clear. First, it is important to note that we do not wish to prevent sprint entrants from operating outside their self imposed periods. The whole point of this of course is to allow sprint stations to operate freely outside the contest as if they were a non contest station. Whilst it is unlikely that any station in this position will be calling CQ in the middle of the contest looking for general (non contest) QSOs it is more than possible that they will be called by one or more contest stations. In these circumstances, I would expect the station to explain that a contest exchange is not possible and leave it at that.

Should the calling station subsequently attempt to claim points for the exchange this will be picked up by the adjudicator (me) and a check made to ensure the points were not being claimed by the sprint station. Should a series of these be detected then the adjudicator will decide whether these are sufficiently random to be considered 'accidental'

Replying to your query is rather more difficult to put into print than it is for me to 'visualise' Stewart however rest assured that I understand the problem and have a plan to deal with it

PS, this posted whilst on hols in a wet CT3!
Denny, 2E0DBZ
Thu Apr 07 2011, 07:33AM
Denny, 2E0DBZ
Registered Member #1390

Hi Trev,

Quick couple of questions.

As I'm new to contesting how do I make the declaration that the rules have been adhered to...? I'll be using MINOS logger (tried N1MM but couldn't get away with it, too many windows). Also when I've put the details into MINOS the modes it comes up with are J3E, F3E and A1A...I'm looking at using PSK31 and other data modes (if possible) so which mode would these come under...? I thought it would be A1A but a quick look on Wikipedia told me that PSK was G1B emission...!

Cheers

[ Edited Thu Apr 07 2011, 08:05AM ]
Dai, G8FXM
Thu Apr 07 2011, 12:40PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Denny, Basically if your using a sound card to create your signal and your radio is set to SSB, then the mode defiantly isn't G1B as the "G" modulation type is Phase mod. by using SSB and audio data, the mode is J3E I'd use that for PSK31.

[ Edited Thu Apr 07 2011, 04:33PM ]
Go to page       >>