Loft antenna questions?

Author Post

Chris, N2ZZU

Mon Oct 27 2014, 04:17PM
Hi all, First up I do apologize if I have posted this in the wrong place.

Now to the question, I looked at plans for a "loft antenna". Has anyone who has built this antenna posted a picture or a you tube vid on building it? Looks like a Yagi turned vertical to give it an omni pattern. But I am not sure. A loft in my area of the USA would be a space you could live in. An attic could be livable, but probably is less desirable, mine would be horrid. I wonder what is mean with the descriptor of "loft". My my "attic" is open rafters overhead and floor joist with fiberglass between them for a floor. I can walk on the joists, or lay down flooring of sorts. If you do that before a final inspection they hit you with taxes for a finished space, as in livable.

I am on the east cast of the USA. I do not have bales of cash and want to build antenni, for use in my attic. The only gear I own is a Tentec 526 2n6 all mode. All help appreciated.

Thanks

chris
Dai, G8FXM
Tue Oct 28 2014, 05:40PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Chris, you might be better off putting an HB9CV up in your loft, their small, wide beamwidth and have a good F/B ratio. So you could point it in the general direction you need and not worry about having to rotate it. Just a thought?
Dai, G8FXM
Wed Oct 29 2014, 08:26PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Chris, you might find this useful:

Chris, N2ZZU
Tue Nov 04 2014, 03:02PM
Chris, N2ZZU
Registered Member #2282

Hi,

I have not been able to fire up the 'puter for a bit,but I find it hard to navigate this site. I dumped my call into the search field ad did not get any of your posts, (and others). If I were in the UK I would join, but I am in a suburb of NYC. I think 6 meters is used more by people OT Americans,(but I could be wrong), unless the ionosphere is hot. Kinda like people who only root for the Mets, (pick a pro sports team), if they are winning.

Thanks fer the link, I am not sure what it is(I do see it is a calculator), but what kind of antenna. It is all brass all soldered together... a two element yagi?

I will more likely make a quad or a moxon. I need to see how much space I have I believe I have the height. I am really in a quandary.

I need to go into "the city" to change the dressings on someones arm. Blood thinners may make one live longer, but they come at a price.

tnx

chris
Chris, N2ZZU
Tue Nov 04 2014, 03:31PM
Chris, N2ZZU
Registered Member #2282

Hi Dai,

I dumped the hb9cv into "ixquick" and found a page with other info on the antenna! I have a lot of tubing and a tv antenna awaiting the butchers cleaver. I do not know if the boom will be good or neigh, but it looks doable. I must order cable and other bits to make one, but it is certainly doable. That calculator takes diameter and I have various tubes available. So we will see what we can come up with. If I have to, I can wrap a wooden boom in foil or aluminum flashing to replace the all metal boom.

tnx

chris
Dai, G8FXM
Tue Nov 04 2014, 03:44PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Chris, sorry to hear your having problems navigating the site. We are in the process of a complete overhaul so please bear with us while we put these improvements (hopefully) in place. The HB9CV looks like a 2 Ele yagi but in fact it's a variant of the ZL special. A Quad and/or Moxon rectangle are great choices too and may be a better antenna for your loft location. Keep in touch and let us know how you get on.
I can empathise RE the blood thinners, I was on them for 18 months and am please to say I've just com off them. Even the simplest of cuts can be problematic a bruising very easy. Take care.
Chris, N2ZZU
Tue Nov 04 2014, 06:54PM
Chris, N2ZZU
Registered Member #2282

Now I fear I have too many choices, BUT I will persevere. What is a ZL Special? This looks like it could be the most compact. Trade off to be sure. I think a quad or moxon might have better gain, but I am new to anything past simple 2 meter repeater operations. Well it is election time here and I must go vote for my favorite crook/thief/liar.

I will check back in from time to time. I do have a couple of Antenna gents to ask for specific questions. Sometimes asking a different person is helpful as they explain it differently.

As far as the site is concerned. I am a Luddite and some sites are easier to navigate then others.

tnx
chris