Winter contest dec to jan

Author Post

Mark, M0VMT

Sun Nov 24 2013, 09:30PM
Hello Chaps
I need a bit of guidence Im new to contesting or any kind or competion regarding exchange of info, I have read the rules and regs and what needs to be exchanged to gather points but....
Am I right in that I could manually log my contacts or would I be able to use my QRZ log to upload as I don't use or have any other log at the minute. Im really interested in 6metre and im not usually a contester but I reckon I may enjoy this
Well thanks in advance Regards Mark
Mark, M0VMT
Sun Nov 24 2013, 09:53PM
Mark, M0VMT
Registered Member #2110

Well I have done some more digging and I could use QRZ if I was to pay a subscription that would allow me to download logs, so whilst I don't mind paying for the privilege to be fair is this the only viable option other then manually entering them or is that a pain
cheers Mark
Dai, G8FXM
Mon Nov 25 2013, 12:26PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Mark, You will not be able to manually enter your log in the Winter Marathon. All logs are to be submitted via ADIF file upload. So basically any logging program capable of exporting an ADIF file (and I think that all of them do) will be fine. I'm not familiar with QRZ but how do you get your entries into QRZ's log, is it directly via manual entry or do you upload a file?

If you have any problems uploading your ADIF file please contact me and I'll help you sort it out. Good luck in the Marathon.

[ Edited Mon Nov 25 2013, 12:28PM ]
Dai, G8FXM
Mon Nov 25 2013, 12:37PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Mark, If you have Microsoft Excel or Open(Libre) Office Calc try the following log and conversion spreadsheets from G6CSY at this link: You can log you calls using his log spreadsheet, and convert to ADIF for upload to the UKSMG Marathon log and your QSL log. Alternatively you could download W1HKJ's adif logging program call FLlog. This program was designed to run with his FLDigi program but will run standalone. You can get the windows version from here: or if your using a Macintosh use this link: or if using Linux use this link: this is a very simple logging program which saves your qso's in ADIF format without the need to do any conversion. It will also interface with Hamlib if you want to use computer rig control, but you can use it manually if you like. If you have any further questions or problems, just let me know.

[ Edited Mon Nov 25 2013, 12:52PM ]
Mark, M0VMT
Wed Nov 27 2013, 11:39PM
Mark, M0VMT
Registered Member #2110

Hello David
Some great advice their thankyou I will have have more depth look at he links tomorrow I have just had a look in tonight so sorry for the late reply.
I have also checked my HRD and it will down load a ADI file which will suffice for the contest so im good to go but once again cheers for the links and the offer of help true amateur spirit!
Regards Mark 2E0VMT

[ Edited Wed Nov 27 2013, 11:40PM ]
Dai, G8FXM
Thu Nov 28 2013, 08:41AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Your welcome. HRD should do all you need. Good luck in the Marathon.
Mark, M0VMT
Thu Nov 28 2013, 11:11PM
Mark, M0VMT
Registered Member #2110

Thanks David and Good luck to you also, I have made myself a paid member of the group tonight after liking what I have read on here :phones:
I have read the instructions and this may sound dumb but do I also exchange a contest number for the log like 001 then next contact 002 etc along with the rest of the requirements, forgive me as I have never ever done any contesting what so ever
Regards Mark
Dai, G8FXM
Fri Nov 29 2013, 09:47AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Mark, Glad to hear you decided to become a member. No problem re your questions.  If you still have questions after reading the instructions then I need to make them clearer, so the feedback is much appreciated. Ok there is no contest exchange you just make regular contacts on Six Metres with as many stations as you can in as many unique 4 digit locator squares you can, observeing the "Code of Practice" and upload these contacts via your ADIF log file. And thats it, no need to worry about any other rules or contest exchanges etc, just go work as many squares as you can, log 'em, and up load 'em. 
Have fun.

[ Edited Fri Nov 29 2013, 09:48AM ]
Mark, M0VMT
Fri Nov 29 2013, 08:05PM
Mark, M0VMT
Registered Member #2110

Hello David
No your instructions are spot on! I will go with the flow sticking to the band plans and well let it develop, Im just waiting for admin to sort my membership and the team have people like yourself with the advice and welcome and G1ZJP Bob regards netting me
Regards Mark