2012 UKSMG Contest

This thread is now closed
Author Post

Ian, G7RIS

Fri Jun 01 2012, 09:45PM
Good luck to everyone taking part in tomorrow's contest. We're looking forward to hearing old friends and working as many members as possible.

We are slightly down on power this year, having looked at the weather forecast and the fact that my old landrover lets water in like a sieve we've decided to leave the valve amp and separate 3.5kv psu at home :violin: so we'll see how the TE system amp stands up to being water cooled hi.

My two sons, Sam M6YNK and Ollie are joining the team this year, Sam is 10 and only passed the foundation exam a fortnight ago so the contest might be a baptism of fire for him......

We will be portable from our usual spot up in Derbyshire, just south of the peak district national park, so if you hear us please give us a shout and say hello, we will be using the call G7RIS/P :party:

73's Ian

Stewart, G0LGS
Sat Jun 02 2012, 06:27AM
Stewart, G0LGS
Registered Member #477

Good luck to everyone.

We (WNLS) will be operating from our normal site in the Cotswolds, but the mast and Antenna system will be a little less impressive than it has been for the last few years - we are having to make do with a 5 Ele Tonna and however much scaffold tube we can manage to get in the air, instead of one of Ian (G5WQ) 7 Elements and the 40ft pump up.

Not sure which callsign we will be using yet, we will make that decision in few hours time.
Dai, G8FXM
Sun Jun 03 2012, 02:41PM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

So how was this years contest for you? Share your experences, anicdotes, photos the "one that got away" stories etc.
Also any comments and suggestions for improvement can all be posted here by submitting a comment here http://www.uksmg.org/comment.php?comment.news.528
Tim, G4FJK
Mon Jun 04 2012, 05:48AM
Tim, G4FJK
Registered Member #1339

G4TSW -
Early report from the Tiverton Radio Club in IO80FV

We've just dismantled the club station and got home.
TX 400w - Antenna 8ele & 5ele seperate yagis

Our estimated score is as follows :
QSOs - 128
Points per km - 70465
Gridsquares - 52
DXCC - 23
UKSMG Members - 38
If my maths is correct, that's about 126,965 points

Highlights of the weekend included QSOs with I2ADN and I4EAT in IF9, GM4ODA in Shetland and an opening to OH and the Baltic states in some variable patchy Es.
Now to go for a lie-down and a rest !
Thanks to all for the QSOs and a great weekend.
Alan G0IFC (#2396) and Tim G4FJK (#84)

(apologies if I've posted this twice)
Tony, G8ONK
Mon Jun 04 2012, 08:57AM
Tony, G8ONK
Registered Member #1561

Is anyone else having problems uploading their contest log file ?

For some reason the system is not recognising the tick in the declaration box, I have tried Chrome and Explorer with the same result.

Conditions for the contest were pretty dire, owing to other commitments I could only operate in short bursts after 17.00 Saturday. Most of the time the whole band was empty, CQ ing for 1.5 Hrs went unanswered, could not raise GM,GD,GI or GW despite beaming their way. The Sp E came and went in a few seconds, or was it aircraft reflection.

Total points estimate is only 12,873

Tony G8ONK

Dai, G8FXM
Mon Jun 04 2012, 09:13AM
Webmaster

Registered Member #2

Hi Tony, there was a problem with the log submission form but I fixed it last night and I am seeing logs being submitted sucessfully now. Try it again and let me know if you still have a problem.